What Is Laboratory Testing?
Lab testing may be performed during the initial psychiatric diagnosis and assessment process and throughout care on an as-needed or periodic basis. These diagnostic services may include blood tests and urine screenings (urinalysis) and may be used to evaluate for a variety of factors, from psychiatric or genetic conditions to substance use. Board-certified psychiatrist Dr. Julie Pittman or one of our skilled nurse practitioners may recommend lab testing to better understand your treatment needs and how physical and mental health conditions may be related. The results of lab testing may also be utilized to help our providers determine the best approach when treating mental illnesses or substance use disorders. Please contact Pittman Psychiatry & Recovery in Arlington, TX for more information on the benefits of laboratory testing.
"Laurie Smith is wonderful and has been a great influence in my life the past year. Truly made a huge difference in my health. 10/10. Thank you!!"- EB / Office Visit / Nov 10, 2021
"Dr. Pittman is a real gem. She listens and actually hears what I have to say. Very knowledgeable and compassionate. I?m blessed to have her as my provider."- JS / Office Visit / Nov 10, 2021
"My daughter met with Laurie Smith this week and I was very impressed by her knowledge, patience, and technique. They were able to work us in to visit within a few days of me calling. Laurie took her time in getting to know my daughter and understanding as many facets of her mental health as possible. This group does not take insurance, however, Laurie was worth every penny spent. We look forward to future visits and care and I am optimistic about the future of my child's mental health."- DH / Office Visit / Nov 03, 2021
"Dr. Pittman is a great doctor. She actually listens, spends time with me, makes a real effort to understand what's up, and includes me in the decision making. She is truly interested in doing what is best for me, not just following some textbook decision tree. Would highly recommend Dr. Pittman for psychiatric, substance abuse/addiction, and obesity concerns."- RD / Office Visit / Sep 15, 2021
"Five stars! I cannot say enough about how great Dr. Pittman and staff are. They are efficient and truly care about you as an individual."- TF / Office Visit / Sep 12, 2021
When Are Lab Tests Needed?
Dr. Pittman and our other providers routinely order blood tests and urine screenings to gain detailed information about our patients' overall health. This information may be essential when prescribing certain types of psychiatric medications and in helping us determine what types of medications might work best in certain situations. Lab work may also be used to help:
- Establish baseline health data before initiating treatment.
- Identify genetic biomarkers in the blood to help better understand how a patient might react to medications for psychiatric conditions, like schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.
- Rule out or detect medical concerns that could be contributing to symptoms of a mental illness, such as depression, anxiety, or panic disorder. These medical concerns could include neurological disorders, thyroid conditions, hormonal fluctuations, a vitamin deficiency, or low levels of iron in the blood (anemia), among others.
- Identify any health conditions that may prohibit certain medicaments or treatment modalities, such as heart, liver, or kidney conditions.
- Monitor the effects of psychiatric medications over the course of treatment.
- Detect the presence of drugs or other substances in the body.
Diagnostic Lab Testing in Psychiatric Care
Diagnostic lab tests may be an integral part of identifying and treating mental health and substance use disorders. At Pittman Psychiatry & Recovery, we use blood testing to detect genetic biomarkers and other health indications along with urine drug testing to screen for evidence of substance use or additional factors. To learn more about lab testing, or to set up an appointment with Dr. Pittman or one of our certified nurse practitioners, please contact our Arlington, TX office today.